Weed Management in GM Alfalfa: Roundup Ready Alfalfa
GM alfalfa has been back on the market for about four years, after a detour through the courts that began not long after it was first introduced in 2005 as the fifth glyphosate-resistant crop to be commercialized.
- Lectures 10
- Questions 40
- Duration 1.5 h (approx)
This course is approved for continuing education credit for the following:
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation (1 credit, Other)
- Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) Accredited in U.S. and Canada (1 hour, Crop Management)
- Arizona Department of Agriculture (1 hour)
- Colorado Department of Agriculture (1 hour, 103)
- Delaware Department of Agriculture (1 credit PA, 1A)
- New Mexico Department of Agriculture (1 credit, General,1 PRAP, PRRO)
- Texas Department of Agriculture (1 credit, General)
- Utah Department of Agriculture and Food (1 CEU in Use)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture (1 credit, category 90)
- #PENDING/2018 -- Wyoming Department of Agriculture (1 CEU)
Information for this course was gleaned from a wide array of sources, including the University of California, the University of Arizona, Penn State University, and Monsanto. Specifically the research of Steve B. Orloff, Siskiyou County UC Cooperative Extension Farm Advisor; Daniel H. Putnam, Extension Agronomist, Department of Plant Sciences, UC Davis; Steve Wright, Tulare County UC Cooperative Extension Farm Advisor; W. Thomas Lanini, UC Cooperative Extension Weed Ecologist, Department of Plant Sciences, UC Davis; William McCloskey, Extension Weed Specialist and Lydia Brown from the University of Arizona; William Curran and Bryan L. Dillehay from Penn State; Ryan Rector, Technology Development Manager, Monsanto; and Jeff Herrmann, Monsanto Specialty Crops Product Development Manager.
Additional information was gleaned from “Reducing the Risks of Herbicide Resistance: Best Management Practices and Recommendations” published by the Weed Science Society of America and authored by Jason K. Norsworthy, Sarah M. Ward, David R. Shaw, Rick S. Llewellyn, Robert L. Nichols, Theodore M. Webster, Kevin W. Bradley, George Frisvold, Stephen B. Powles, Nilda R. Burgos, William W. Witt, and Michael Barrett.
Excerpts were used from “Managing Glyphosate-Resistant Weeds in Glyphosate-Resistant Crops,” authored by Kassim Al-Khatgib, UC Cooperative Extension Weed Specialist and Director of Statewide IPM Program, Department of Plant Sciences, University of California, Davis; Brad Hanson, UC Cooperative Extension Weed Specialist, Department of Plant Sciences, University of California, Davis; Tim Miller, Mount Vernon Research and Extension Center, Mount Vernon, Washington; Ed Peachy, Department of Horticulture, Oregon State University, Corvallis; and Rick Boydston, USDA Agricultural Research Service, Prosser, Washington.