Utilizing Potassium Nitrate as a Specialty Plant Nutritional Product that Protects Against Disease Organisms and Plant Stresses/Principles of IPM
Potassium nitrate is used in agriculture, industry, solar energy plants, food and pharma. In agriculture, the main uses of potassium nitrate are related to the supply of plant nutrients via fertigation, foliar and field applications. Potassium nitrate has also proven to be a valuable tool in crop pest and stress management and has shown positive effects on the control of plant pests and diseases when applied or as an additive to crop protection agrochemicals, thus allowing the grower to practice more effective and judicious use of pesticides. When used correctly, potassium nitrate can be a valuable and economic source in any Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategy, not only for its effective and environmentally sensitive aspects, but for its effects on overall plant health, thus creating a stronger, more resistant plant. This is demonstrated in this course by a number of examples of pest management with potassium and nitrate sources. This course also has a section on the role of nutrients in IPM and is sponsored by SQM.
- Lectures 16
- Questions 46
- Duration 2 h (approx)
This course is accredited by:
- Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) Accredited in U.S. and Canada (1.0 Nutrient Management; 0.5 IPM; 0.5 Soil & Water Management)
- Delaware Department of Agriculture (1 credit PA and 1A)
- Florida Department of Agriculture (2 CEUs, General Standards/Core, Category 482 & 487)
- Georgia Department of Agriculture (1 hour commercial or private)
- Hawaii Department of Agriculture (2 CEUs, Private 1, Commercial 1a, 3, 10)
- Maryland Department of Agriculture (3 credits, 1A)
- Montana Department of Agriculture Commercial (2 credits 10, 30, 39, 60; *Maximum of 6 credits for online training per recertification cycle for commercial)
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (4 units, 1A, PP2)
- New Mexico Department of Agriculture ( 2 Hours General, 1 PRAP, PRRO )
- Tennessee Department of Agriculture (1 CEU, 1, 4, 10, 12)
- Utah Department of Agriculture (1 CEU in Use)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture (1 credit, category 90, 91)
- West Virginia Department of Agriculture (2 credits in 1, 11, 12, Private Applicator)
- Wyoming Department of Agriculture (1 CEU)
It is accredited for licensing categories: PCAs, Qualified Applicators, Private Applicators, Aerial Applicators, and County Permit Holders in the states listed here. This course is not accredited by the California Department of Pesticide Regulation.
SQM, a worldwide company based in Chile and founded in 1968, has a strong global presence in Specialty Plant Nutrition, being committed not only to the field, but also to add value to your business and crops through our extensive agronomic expertise. At its plants in northern Chile, SQM processes two precious natural resources: caliche ore and salt brines; these provide raw materials for SQM's broad product portfolio and are at the heart of an integrated and flexible production process which enables SQM to obtain at the same time different and complementary natural products, including nitrate derivatives.
SQM is currently the only worldwide producer of the three main sources of potassium widely used in the agribusiness: Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulphate and Potassium Chloride. It is the worldwide market leader in producing and commercializing Potassium Nitrate with the industry’s smallest Carbon Footprint; a natural, chloride-free, 100% water-soluble product which enables a more rational use of water for fertigation applications and assists in raising the quality of various crops.
Supported by an international commercial and distribution network in over 100 countries, business allies and joint ventures, SQM aims to provide, through its main brands Ultrasol® for Fertigation application, Qrop® for Soil application, and Speedfol® for Foliar application, business solutions that contribute to the growth of the businesses of clients all around the world, and by extension enhance the agro-business in the countries served by the company.